In the case that you want added security to your website such as administrator logins, or perhaps you don't want anyone else to access a folder that is in development, you may want to use password protected directories in cPanel.
To password protect a directory:
1. Login to cPanel
2. Click on "Password Protect Directories" under the Security section in cPanel:
3. Accept the pop-up for the directory you want to open:
4. Navigate to the appropriate folder by clicking the folder icon on the left, then click on the folder name that you wish to password protect:
5. Add a user with a password under the "Create User" area. Click "Add/modify authorized user":
6. Click back to be brought back to the previous screen:
7. Check the box "Password protect this directory", and set what will be displayed on the login pop-up. Click Save:
8. Navigate to the directory in your browser, making sure that the password protect works.
Please note that any .htaccess modifications from now on must be monitored closely. Adding a password protected directory adds code to your .htaccess file, so removing or updating this .htaccess file could potentitally remove the protection.