You have the ability to password protect individual directories in your website to provide an extra level of protection for sensitive areas such as shopping cart admin areas. The feature, called "Password Protect Directories," is accessible in your cPanel. Here's how to password protect a directory:
- Log into cPanel by visiting http://yourdomain.com/cpanel (where "yourdomain.com" is your site's domain name)
- Click on "Password Protect Directories" in the "Security" area of cPanel
- Click "Go" in the box that appears (it is not necessary to change any of the default options)
- On the next page, navigate to the folder you wish to protect. You can navigate within folders by clicking on the folder icon next to the name.
- Select the folder you want to protect by clicking on it's name.
- Check the box named "Password protect this directory" and enter a name which describes what is being protected. This name can be anything--it will appear in the login box when you try to access the folder on the web. Common examples would be "Admin" or "Secure". Click "Save".
NOTE: Any folders that are within a protected folder will also be protected.
- Click "Go Back" on the next page that appears.
- Under "Create User" enter a username and password that can be used to access the protected folder. Click "Add/Modify Authorized User". You can add several different users if you want more than one person to have access to the folder.
REMOVING THE PASSWORD PROTECTION
If you wish to disable the password protection, follow steps 1-4 above, but uncheck the "Password protect this directory" box instead of checking it, then click "Save".